Monday, May 15, 2006

This and That



I've had a remarkably busy couple of weeks. Between debating and class, I haven't had much time for anything else, and when you spend at least three hours a day reading news and blogs for debates, it really saps your strength to write. A quick fill in on life, then.

Over the weekend, my team placed runners up at SMU Hammers, our inter-varsity debating championships. Lost out to NTU A, in a close and well matched debate. dissapointing, yes, but such is life. The level of debate puns took a new low, and challenges even the disturbed sense of humour that quizzers have. In a continuing trend of making fun of Ashwin, MM Shah compared water-spout boy to Iran's nuclear ambitions. "He has the uranium, but the delivery system is just not there". This was, of course, following Ashwin's continued failure in getting it up.

Another result of training is that entertainment is needed now and then, and since we have no life, this has to be provided inside a debate. Hence the invention of "Bonus Words", phrases to be included in your speech to fetch you brownie points with the adjudicator. Sadly, its not easy to shove in "I'm a fag hag" or "Dude, where's my car" into meaningful geopolitical debates, nor "Virgin Atlantic" contextualised to reforming the UN.

All said and done, I'm leaving for Manila on Thursday, putting an end to my year at SMU. I'm less than two weeks from home, and looking forward to it.
Oh, I also read an amazing book, which I shall proceed to review when I next have the time. It is, quite obviously, about food. The topic's been lacking for a while now, hasn't it?

No comments: