Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Christians and Credit Cards



The Christian Religion has always been one that is actively involved in bringing you into their fold, but either I've been awakened from my own world a little more the last few months, or something is afoot. Now, I am singling this out because I haven't ever had hindu friends out to get me to pray or follow weirdass customs, not even my own family's Pundit who is quite understanding when I'd like to get a Havan thread tied to my left wrist rather than my right. In the same breath, I've never had any Muslim friends or general contacts who've ever tried to show me the way of Allah. I've indeed had discussions about Buddhism of both Chinese and Thai branches with friends without them ever even bringing up the "Join Us, Luke, join the Dark Side" discussion. Ditto with my Sikh friends.
Christianity I have observed, is just bloody well different.

Christians are out to convert me. Frequently.

Lets take a case in point as Singapore, which seems to be turning into militant christianities new homeground. Now, I have no problem with people practicing whatever faith they will, in whatever space they might have. However, I do dislike when this intrudes upon mine. My college has a few annoying Christian Groups in this regard, who mail you before exams, or before term starts to tell you how God will help you through it all, and how they're holding prayer groups for you. In addition, I have had classmates invite me to church to "see the light" as it may be. Its definitely not a faith of live and let live.

But singapore, with its...I assume christian majority is still understandable. What I don't get is how in Delhi, at Priya nonetheless I can be accosted by two Italian Catholics telling me to bow down to the Pope. Okay, they didn't use those words, but I wish they had because they gave out these damn silly pamphlets telling me how my life was shit and how Jesus was a Handyman (this is the part I'm not making up, by the way) with tools to fix all my problems, as long as I invited him in. Now, honestly. Why two blokes would travel all the way to Delhi to spread the word of Jesus the Plumber is well beyond me. They're headquartered in Bangalore, by the way, this particular group of Missionairies, so god bless all you IT types. Quite literally.

I'm still against any law that says I don't have the freedom to choose the faith I would like to practice, or change the one I do practice, but at the same time I would like laws governing how these people choose to go about it in much the same way as I'd like laws banning Credit Card Companies from harrassing you over the phone. It is an invasion of my privacy. If was unhappy with either my faith, or indeed my credit card provider I would actively seek a change. There's no dearth of either Credit Cards of religious institutions, so I'm sure I'd find my way around.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is probably why there are so many christians and credit cardholders. There is no business without marketing.