Sunday, September 11, 2005

Airborne Time



Weeks fly by here. It's now been three weeks of college, five weeks of being here, and I can hardly tell. Time just buzzes by, because at all times you have something or the other to do. The weekdays race by, in a flurry. They go by in a mess of classes, group meetings, project work, homework, assignment work, debating practice, and...home chores(In the interests of politeness, and the tact I am desperately trying to inculcate, however failing desperately in doing, I shall not further elaborate on the phrase "Home Chores").
Not to sound trite and overdone, but college really opens up a whole new world for you. Everything kinda has to be done on your own, sure there's a lot of people to help you out, but they're not going to offer to until you reach out. There's a whole lot I've learned, and it's sort of been rammed down my throat. Most of it is well, too complex or too boring to share with you mere mortals, hence I'll brief you on the more interesting things I've learnt in an easy to understand, bullet point format.
  • Signposting is important. Always signpost. It builds up matter, makes you look important.
  • RIN Bar is bad for your hands, don't use too much of it.
  • If you turn "Baby One More Time" into a hard rock song, you can actually headbang to it. Serious!
  • There is no greater incentive to hostel and college life than the word "Free Dinner". There may be no such thing as a free lunch, but free dinners are all over the place
  • Do not ever eat Wasabi. Do not ever eat anything with Fish Flakes. Do not even go near "Durian"
  • Everything is exchangable in hostel, and everyone needs something. Don't ever throw anything away.
  • Chinese people cannot pronounce the syllable "Bh". A B or a P has to suffice. Welcome to the world of Pav/Bav "Rhymes with Love" Kahna.
  • Signposting is important, you can repeat what you say and make up time doing that.
  • There are few things as fun as jumping off your seat during a debate and yelling out "Fallacy Sir! Shame!"
  • College life is a breeze, where work is optional, and you spend most of your time partying.
  • Fallacy Sir! Shame!
In unrelated news, I've had a great weekend, where I have actually gone shopping and bought myself a pair of brand new Sandals, the Nike ones which are supremely overpriced in India, but decent enough over here. They're exceedingly comfortable.
Oh, that's not all. I've spoilt myself silly, and got myself a haircut, after a period far too long not to have a haircut. I am, now of course broke and need to withdraw money from my account.
Am starting to realise that I can spend a little more, the college has given me a decent amount of money for this term. Accoring to my handy dandy calculator, I can spend 191.66666 dollars a week, with the remainder of my grant money. I am currently spending around 80-90.

However, I am the world's second most thrifty person (How can I ever take the honour away from Prateek Chadha), and will see how things go.

No comments: