Saturday, March 27, 2004

Big Fish



I went for "Big Fish" today, with my brother. This, of course is because practically everyone is in a state of extreme depression due to marks. Those who aren't, are giving FIIT-JEE reshuffling tests, or have been given strict orders by Bigdi Bangaali Bacchi's not to leave house.

But the end result was, I saw I very good movie. Here's what its like, without any spoilers, so you can go watch and enjoy it yourselves.

Big Fish is a story about telling stories. Its wonderfully done, and though it starts of slowly, it starts to flow. Its a bit like Forrest Gump, the style, though the stories can be at times more unbelieveable, and don't really revolve around coincidence, as Gump does.

But here's the thing. Big Fish asks us to question what we really want. A boring, drab reality of truth, or the story about the Big Fish, the one that always got away, which, though made up, sounds much better. Of course, it is a movie, so it leaves us with the message the sometimes the very stories and reality merge, and you no longer know what was true, and what was fabricated.

The performances themselves are solid. Billy Crudup, (Minus the Mustache from Almost Famous) puts in a fine performance as the dissolusioned son, while Albert Finney is class as the master storyteller.

If anyone goes for this movie, and enjoys it, I seriously reccomend reading Haroon and the Sea of Stories, by Salman Rushdie.

Incidently, the title "Badshah of Blah" is taken from there. Subconciously, I assure you. Wasn't intended at all...

On unrelated news, I did secret government work today(Seriously) for an undisclosed organisation(you had bloody well guess what it is). I'd tell you what it was, but then I'd have to get people to kill you. And I don't want that.

Again, on unrelated news, my oldest friend (of 16 years), Haripal Singh Brar, is in town from Chandighar. I haven't seen him in a good year, as he's been on a tenth board exam sabbatical. He will no doubt, over the next few days related kissa's of Punjab, and that horrible shit-hole of a town, Chaddighar.

Goodums.

No comments: