Saturday, January 07, 2006

Anything



I may have forgotten to mention that I've changed hostel at Singapore, to Sophia Lodgings, the closest one to college, just a breeze of a ten minute walk. As a result, it is full of SMU furrin students, and has thus quite a fun environment. The residing motto of the place is "Anything", which pretty much accurately describes things that are said and done around this place. Anything happens. Cakes randomly make their way into hostel, they are randomly half-eaten by hungry buggers, who are again randomly video recorded by even more random buggers. To cut a long story short, there is, for some reason, a rather decently long video of me demolishing a cake. I look very pleased. I am.

Thus, I've moved on from not just a completely random life in and around the wonderful confines of the internet, where I learn remarkably random things like injury rates of Cheerleaders in America(it's a dangerous job) including but not limited to sudden and immediate death caused due to rupturing of spleen(damn that sounds cool) and that the World Bank has cut loans to the country Chad.
I wholly support that. It's dangerous giving loans to a country stupid enough to call itself Chad.
Oh, and they also indulge in horrific human rights violations/poverty/blah blah blah. Your general bad african government, basically.

All said and done, it's time to move on to a couple of short reviews.

The Corpse Bride



The funny thing is that this is a Tim Burton film, with all they stylings of Tim Burton, the dark backgrounds, the gothic settings and characters, but all in animated form. The story, sadly, is shockingly bad and no amount of Tim Burton beautiful direction can give any credence to this most pedestrian of plots(please notice the alliteration. Have I ever mentioned my love for alliteration?) The whole premise is that this victorian age chap named Victor(woah, I didn't see that coming), is to be married to...Victoria so that her family can exunt penury. Enter disdain at arranged marrige, enter Victor meets Victoria, and love at first sight. If at any point this sounds like Dil Chahta Hai, give it up. Both of them fall for each other in a matter of seconds. Of course, the wedding is doomed, because Victor goes off into the jungle, while practicing his vows, and puts his wedding ring on a corpse with a curse, who takes him to be her husband.
If you think it can't get much worse from here on end, you'd be wrong. It gets worse, much much worse.

I would go on, but a timely alarm tells me that I must go pop my laundry into the drier for another spin. The sad realities of a domesticated life.

Pip pip, children.

PS: Can the comments on my blog please maintain some levels of decency? It's not too much to ask, you know.

No comments: