Saturday, January 21, 2006

Back to Good



A week after afore decribed incidents, I'm landed on my feet again. All things that were once lost are now regained, and I wish I could make this sound more like a lord of the rings storyline, but I just lost a phone and wallet, not a ring of power or precious sword. It has however, been a harrowing experience.

From the Monday onwards, I've been running around various locations to recover very important pieces of plastic. Plastic cards have, I now realise, aquirred a large amount of significance in my life. There is my student card, without which access to SMU premises becomes difficult, nay a chore. It functions as my library card, my gym card, and as an access card to Group Study Rooms. I thank my lucky stars I didn't lose it during midterm/project submission/finals time. It was, as a result, one of my topmost priorities. The application for that dealt with, one needed to get around to getting back that which one cannot do without. Money. I needed to get a new ATM card.
At this point, I am thankful beyond belief that I study in Singapore, for this is a country where you can get an ATM card in all of five minutes from a bank. Not only that, but the service is polite, efficient, and helpful. Contrast this with the three weeks it took me to recieve my ATM/Debit card from Centurion Bank of Punjab in Delhi, and it leaves me feeling not thrilled, but generally a bit better about life. I had cash, my own cash, in my wallet nary 12 hours after afore mentioned incident.

The next major thing to be taken care of was my Student Pass, the nice little Visa that allows me to exist in this place. That required me to go to the Immigrations and Checkpoints Authority, a painful place where you must queue in line to get a queue number that allows you to queue while sitting down. I love this concept. I hate the place with a purple passion. You could ask, what Visa/Passport place could possibly be worse than the grime and heat of Bhikaji Cama Place, Delhi. Try ICA Singapore, where the Air Conditioning is kept at 10 degrees celcius, so that you freeze your privates off, and get one mother of a headache while you wait. And wait you will, because the highly efficient numberised queue is still going to take an hour and a half before it's your turn to go in. What is worse is that I had to go back again, a couple of days later, to pick the damn thing up. Yet another queue, yet another headache.

With that dealt with, I could finally purchase a new phone from my Mobile Company, M1. I am now the proud owner of a Sony Ericsson K300i. What this is supposed to mean, I'm still trying to figure out, all I know is all I had to do was pay a refundable deposit for the damn thing, and that makes me happy. Paying in effect nothing for something that has a camera, bluetooth, and a lot of other fancy mobile features is definitely not a bad thing.

That said and done, my life finally gets back to usual levels of abnormalcy. In betweeen all the brouhaha, debating restarted, assignments were finished, more flowed in, deadlines have begun, and college life, in general, has begun. Three cheers to that.

Random Thing for the Day



If you thought the Pigs were cool, check out the latest in animal antics. Cows With Guns.

The College Goer's Resolution



There comes a time in every college going youth's life where he or she realises that the laptop is a great and infinite tool for the passage of time, as TV is now a far memory. The youth then promises, after sufficient prodding, to undertake what I am about to.
I shall watch the entire IMDB top 100 before I graduate. Even the arbit foreign ones. I've watched 40 so far, got a good few more to go. But oh yes, I shall finish it.
Cheers to piracy, what.

No comments: