Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Rigid



One of the greatest criticisms(that I know of!) of me has always been my rigidity. My sheer unwillingness to stray from paths that I have unwittingly set for myself. I've been well aware of it for a good while now, but till recently never had incentive or ability to do anything about it. I've always used it as a defence, to make sure I've stayed on a track that's suited me, that's kept me happy. That's what everyone wants in the end, now, isn't it?
But slowly, things have changed. Over the last week, things have in fact cannonballed and I can see myself growing more flexible, more open to ideas and experiences. I still have an uncanny ability to overthink things, and thus haven't been getting an incredible amount of sleep off late, but I guess there's a price you pay for everything.

It makes me happy, however, that this is starting to change about me. There comes a point when you realise that something has outlived it's purpose, that it's time to grow up. There are a few things responsible for this, and I'd love to offer my thanks. There's my college, SMU, whose profs have finally got through to me, that there are no right answers(except in the final exams). There's the Debating Society, that's taught me to see things from a lot more angles than I'm used to. In a sense, it has also functioned to strengthen my own views, without making them dogmatic. There's Vrinda, who has served as a link between my sometimes warped reality and the real world for some time now, and more often than not navigated me through. There's my father, who taught me the importance of Also, rather than Only. There's Me, of course. I'm this thouroughly (I may even have spelled that right for a change) brilliant chap who while slow at times does eventually figure things out.

I've been scared about it for a while. Life's a lot easier when you're rigid. Desicions are simpler, there's less things that can go wrong. Or even if things do go wrong, you can always very easily justify them. I've always prided myself on my principles, and those are truly going to be tested now. Things aren't going to be easy anymore, I don't think. I'll have to call into question the very principles I stand by more often. Sometimes, they'll stand steadfast, but I do imagine that occasionally they won't.

Whatever happens, it'll be fun to see how things work out. It always is.
Forever, and always, a working progress.

No comments: