Friday, May 28, 2004

Ego and Self



The dictionary, well most of them, seem to believe that ego, and the self are synonymous. Most self proclaimed egotists also believe that ego's are pretty much themselves. Well, here's the deal. Me, you and pretty much everyone else, including a dog named Boo, are not their ego's. Ego's are these wonderful things, which are very important to general survival, and success, especially if you're male.

See, ego's are the part of you that have developed to combat, well pretty much anything that needs to be combatted. Competition, crises, hardship, even values, which so so love to believe are innate to human nature, are pretty much creations of our egos.

Lemme give a personal example to illustrate my point. When I'm going for a debate, my ego takes over. I become proud, strutting, intensly competitive, I'll make jibes at whomsoever I see fit, oh, and it gives me the confidence and ability to speak well. Thus, its really important.

But remove the situation, make it normal, when nothing is going on, when you've got nothing to win or lose, and then you see the Self. Its the part of you that frankly doesn't give a damn. Its the part that sings your favorite song, and says things that your ego knows it shouldn't.

For example, my Self is pretty much content toying around with pens and shiny mettalic objects, and pretty much everything else. Ego's aren't allowed to play, not in the true sense.

No comments: