Friday, August 27, 2004

Backlog Writing



Ah, me finished an hour and a half of physics, and now feel like writing. I will no proceed to elaborate on a few topics of my choice, since no one in particular voted.

My Return to Shri Ram School



Last week, I went back to my old school, for Shri Debate, and cambridge rules debate they organise. Admittedly, I was quite excited to return after such a long time, and got all reminiscent when I saw DLF Building That Gives You The Finger on the way there. My teammates were Sonali Punhani, Arjun Agarwala, and Aditi Misra, and as we approached the school, they commented about how wonderful it looked. Yeah, its great infrastructure, but hey, students make a school.
Yeah, so my first words on entering, as have been reported on Sinha's blog, were indeed "Give me food", but hey, I was damn hungry, and had been promised a decent lunch by Eaps.
The lunch, by the way, was not very decent, and was in fact a very insipid Kadi Chawal. Blah!
Anyhow, to the point. I walk into school, and a lots changed, as far as the school goes. Half of it was cut out to make room for some apartment complex, which seemed quite funny.
But then, a lot remains the same. Same old people, first of all. Same bunch of idiots who, seeing me after maybe three years, decide they want to pick a fight again. This group, by the way, is the often mentioned "Hey, we think we're African Americans from the Bronx" group, otherwise known as the "Hey, how do we keep our pants from falling down" group. Then there was old...dunno what you call them, peoples like Harsh, and Sahil, that still acted and assumed themselves to be way cool.
Then, of course, there was the class 11 batch. I'm much heartened to know that after three years of abscence, they still harbour a grudge against me.
I soon realised that I just don't belong here, I never did. The second day,the day of our debates, I was actually missing home, DPS. Shri Ram was terrible during seventh and eighth for me, its the last place I'd ask a teenager to be while trying to form his identity, because I can still see that individuals just don't seem to survive there. Everyone's the same, in a really sick way.
How was the debate? Well, our first prelim was against DPS Vasant Kunj, and we won that very very comfortably, which was more due to the fact that our team was on the right side of a very skewed motion. Our second debate was against host team, and hey, everyone knows how that goes, so I won't elaborate.
See, a lot of Dipsites, the purebred type, who've been there since Vasant Vihar and East of Kailash simply don't know what its like to be in any other school, so they can't really appreciate what a difference it is, being in DPS, or being in any other school, and especially a school like my old one. When I went back to what I had left, I really knew the difference, and I'm happier than ever that I joined RKP.

Why Derek O'Brien should go stick his head in a pig



On the 23rd, I went for the NIE Fundamentals quiz, conducted by Derek O'Brien. Now, earlier, I had told you all the it doesn't get worse than Sid Basu. Well, guess what, it actually does. He actually asked MULTIPLE CHOICE QUESTIONS in qualifying! The rest of the questions, the ones that were not multi choice, were BQC level, and this is really damn bad when you've asked seniors to show up. On top of that, there were 4 or 5 questions in qualifying that were quite simply, incorrect. We only just managed to qualify. MIS and St. Columbas, the other two top teams in Delhi, didn't.
Then, during the quiz, Derek spends his time asking us the time, and trying to speed things along. His questions remain terrible, the standard was simply pathetic. Plus, there was the stupid buzzer again, and a lot, a lot a lot of theme rounds, which quite frankly, ruin quizzes. He conducted the whole quiz in some weird ass olympic style, and we got medals instead of trophies as prizes.
We came second, by the way, losing out to Sanskriti in the end, as we couldn't get anything in the Anagrams round, and they got pretty much all of them. Why anagrams? Don't ask me. I went there thinking it was a quiz.
Anyhow, some good came out of it. I got footage on front page of the school edition of Times of India, and footage in the school section of the regular paper. Knowing that I'd have my mug in the papers, I ensured that I looked as ridiculous as possible. Along with a school tie worn over the T-Shirts they provide, I had my cap on backwards. My economics teacher reached the conclusion that I was a rebellious child, probably smoking, and drinking, after seeing the pic. Needless to say, I think certain madcap so-and-so's will seriously reconsider their general opinions as to me. Haha! The CSBG scores!

New Methods of Breaking Up, and Why Alanis is a Bitch



If you've heard a song by Alanis Morrisitte, called "You Oughta Know", you'd realise why. Well this particular matter is subject of a longstanding, and I think, my only argument with Vrinda, over the fact that Alanis is a bitch. Vrinda insists the Alanis is infact dude-like, for socking it to the chap who broke up with her. Hey, no problems with that, but you gotta have limits.
I quote you this line.
"Did you forget about me, Mr. Duplicity
I hate to bug you in the middle of Dinner"

OK, fine, you're upset, he's dumped you, life sucks, you want to kill him, BUT DON"T DISTURB A CHAP DURING DINNER! Its a cardinal rule, for crissakes, why in gods name would you disturb someone while they were having their meals. Its not right. She should be shot.

Anyhow, this discussion lead me to suggest better and alternate ways to break up, to ensure that Alanis Like Actions never took place. You remember your old kiddie birthday parties, where you used to give return presents to everyone who came? You know, a pencil box, or some toffees, or the like?
Well, me thought, why not give return presents while breaking up. This would be an unexpected and umm...pleasantish surprise, and would distract the Alanis-Type long enough for you to make a quick and decent escape.
It would work something like this.

"I'm sorry, I don't think this is working out very well anymore, and I don't think I want to see you again. But hey, Here's a Pencil Box for you, see ya."

Alanis Type: "Cool! Pencil Box! Umm...Why a Pencil Box? Umm...Where are you? Damn! You just broke up with me!
Cool,Pencil Box!"

Its brilliant! I don't know why anyone hasn't thought of this before. I should open student advisory centers, in the mould of one Richard Branson.

No comments: