Monday, March 28, 2005

Captain Incompetent



Yes, we lost the test. Yes, it's a dissapointment, and was not one we should have lost, especially when there was only one wicket down at lunch.
I remember a few years back when the entire team used to revolve around the wicket of Tendulkar, it now seems to revolve around Sehwag. This is a bad thing. Sehwag getting out should not mean the end of the match.
But I think most of the blame stands on inept and incompetent leadership from Captain Courageous himself, Sourav da.
Here is a man who's average hasn't breached 20 for this series. His time on the wicket can now be measured in balls, rather than minutes, as is customary in tests. The last time he scored a century, India was Still Shining. He's, in short, washed up. The only reason they kept him on, was the team was winning, so I'm secretly glad that the test match was a loss, now selectors will wake up, hopefully, and smell the coffee.
It's quite strange. The only people who still seem to see fit his place in the side are his never say die supporters in Kolkotta, but they're Bengaali, and embrace anything old and outdated. If communism, Satyajit Ray movies, and Rabindra sangeet find a place in their heart, why not Captain Incompetent Sourav da?

New Gol Gappa Fix



After the demise of Evergreen as a decent joint for Chaat, and general Indian Junk food, I've been searching for a place to get my fix of unhygenic and tasty food. Like the holy grail, I have search far and wide(well wide anyhow, because I don't want to have to go too far to find the place) and finally found what I was looking for(Haha, Bono, I did what you couldn't).
The place is Bengali Sweethouse in South Extension, and they've got some killer Gol Gappas. The paani was nicy and spicy, albiet a bit warmer than I would ideally have liked, and the Gol gappas are large and fulfilling. The chap was also quite benevolent when it came to filling it with the chana and aalu, and the saunth was also adequete. They also charge Rs. 15 a plate, which while still expensive for chaat and does not meet with "Woh Purane Zamane" standard, is a darn sight better than paying Rs. 20 for mineral water prepared crap at Evergreen.
So watch out South Extension, for I shall be back. Your midlands and associated haunts shall see me again, the next time the stomach hungers, and I feel like Hiccuping.

No comments: