Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Look out, Mr. Kakkar



You know, I've never really had a clear, or even fuzzy idea of what I'd like to end up doing after college. Well, actually I did but that was years back in my deranged youth where I wanted to be a Neurosurgeon. Since then, I've been in some sort of mindless limbo, jumping from one thing to the other, only knowing that I wanted to write. But writing in itself is not a career, you need to do something for cash in the pocket as well. Besides, you have to first WRITE a novel or general book, before getting paid for it. Basically, I was clueless.
But I've been thinking for a couple of months, especially since I got into SMU and saw the opportunities it might offer me. After ages and ages, I have a rough idea of what I'd like to end up doing post graduation. I'd like to work in an Advertising Agency. Eventually, I'd like to Run an advertising agency.

See, to figure out what you would like to do, you sort of have to figure out what you're good at and capable of. I'm good at coming up with fun ideas, I'm good at creating lines, and I'd like to think I'm great at managing creativity, both mine and otherwise.

So here's the plan for now. I study me arse off at college, major in Marketing or Sales, and hope to hell one of the placements is to some Ad-Agency or Publishing House or the other.

CCA At SMU



I've also been deciding which Co-Curricular Activities I want to take up at college. I've pretty much decided on SMU Ventures, Debating Society and the ubiquitous "Dharma Bums"(of which my long term aim is to become president, so that my near and dear ones can brag about it. Imagine the burgeoning pride father will feel when asked "So what does your son do at College? He is the President of the Dharma Bums"). That leaves two, of which I lean strongly towards Fencing, Kendo and dream wistfully of joining Muay Thai(Thai Kickboxing).
College is a time to learn new and exciting things, and there aren't too many other places, I figure, where Thai Kickboxing can be one of them. Or Kendo, for that matter.

No comments: