Friday, June 10, 2005

Tagged



The things one does for Kith and Kin....

So, anyhow, continuing on the Book Tag Meme (fine, it's a lot more "intellectual" than other floating crap on the net) here is my list of what's what.

Total Number of Books I Own



A lot. Seriously, a damn large number. My family has been purchasing them longer than I've even been around, and we've got a truckload. Or at least a Fiat-load, because that's what was used to ship out three crates of our books to my bro's best friend Baldy's house, due to reasons so long and complicated that they can only be best summed up by the phrase "My Family is Nuts".
Lets just say they run into Three Digits, and all the rooms of our house, as well as a couple of other houses to boot.

Last Book I bought



Well, from my own money, the last book I bought was Mostly Brilliant, the Box Set of all five Hitchhiker's Books with their original paperback covers. I love it, it's a wonderful collectors itemy thingie, and is going to be one of the few personal possesions(not including clothes and essentials) that I shall be taking along with me to Singapore.

Last Book I read



Freakonomics. The Review is somewhere on this page, go read it. It's a good book. I am currently in the middle of a book called "Flood", which is about, surprise surprise, Noah.

Five Books that Mean a Lot to Me


Tough list, because there are wayy more than five. They're all quite common, none of that exclusive nonsense.
  1. Hitchhiker's Guide: For defining what I find funny, for telling me about the concepts of lunch, for giving me a barrels of laughs, and plenty to think about.
  2. The Foundation Saga: For founding my beliefs in sociology, and how groups behave. For opening me up to science fiction, and the possibilities and situations it can explore. For generally being an exceptional read.
  3. The Fountainhead: For settling my teenage mind into it's core beliefs, for appealing to my own ideas of individualism, and beauty and giving them form and poetry in prose. For generally being a fascinating read, and for ruining my life by inviting comparisions from whoever else read it, as they started telling me I was acting like Roark.
  4. The Godfather: For exploring the interplays of power and reaching out to my sense of Duty and Obligation. For generally being one of the best books I'll ever read.
  5. Bill Bryson's Short History of Nearly Everything: For making science, geology, biology and a couple of other beautiful sciences come together in a remarkable read. For appealing to each and every grey cell in my body. For generally providing me with fodder for many things.
Well, those are the five for now. As I have said, the list is actually a lot longer, but these are the first five I could think of. Everything I have bothered to review on Blah! is in fact a book that in some way has influenced me, and I am a person very prone to being influenced by written matter.

Pick Five People do it on their blogs



Hah! Serves you right, you might have to read this nonsense all over again for I pick Vrinda to do it on Blah!, Skaranses for when he's free, Rashmi, to give it a shot on Youth Curry, Nisheeth, on occasion of turning 18, and Ish to fit the pieces into her Paheli.

Serves you all right for knowing me.

No comments: