Friday, June 03, 2005

Why I disklike Journalism



I work for a magazine. I hate journalism. Ironic, no? Contradictory? Absolutely not. Allow me to clarify.

What I dislike about Journalism in it's current form is that all it wishes to spread is fear. Open the newspapers, they're interested in telling you two things. What is wrong, and who's looking hot. Now, I'm fine with the second, I just don't feel that a newspaper, or a news channel is where I should be getting that kind of information. There's a time and a place for everything.

Except of course, The Slimes of India, where the added bonus of them trying to peddle their personal channel, or whoever pays them enough money for space is also thrown in.

The other thing I dislike journalism is that when it's not obssesed in telling me why I should be scared to be alive(Deaths, Murder, Rape, Meningitis, Pollution, you name it), they're telling me about the horribly interesting world of Politics. Now, here's combining two things I dislike. Politics, is well, inherently useless. Have any of you ever wondered to ask why we elect MLA's? They're supposed to pass laws, that's their JOB! How often in the news do we ever hear, such and such law was PASSED by our MLA's. If you look at the statistics, they don't do much of that anyhow, because most of the time they aren't even sitting in session. They're off trying to get themselves elected for the next five years of sitting around, trying to get themselves reelected. A Politician's Job is thus, to ensure he continues he has a Job.
That's exactly the way it is with Journalism, and the Media. The object of the paper, or news channel has ceased to be the actual content, but has simply become a function of perpetuating itself.

Thus, I pretty much stopped reading the papers about a year ago. Occasionally, when something of significance does happen, I give it a read through. Usually, I've heard about a story before I even bother to give it a read. Journalistic ventures have simply stopped being a source of New Information for me, for the simple reason that New Information does not exist in their content.

I watched Bowling for Columbine today, a documentry by Micheal Moore, where he reveals a chilling side of the United States, that the media there has now succeeded in reducing the entire population into a Culture of Fear. I worry that much the same is going to happen in India as well. So I'll live in my own world, thank you, and Shun the Slimes of India. I just wish they'd make Playboy and Maxim availible more freely in India, so that our esteemed Newspapers and News Channels would lose most of their current content, and return to some form of sensibility.

No comments: