Monday, June 20, 2005

Not Just Paranthas



Indians, North Indians and especially Punjabi's have a very fixed concept of what celebrations should involve. Food. Good Food. Good food from a decent place. The search then is to find this decent place, once the occasion for celebration has been taken care of. Thanks to Sud, I have found yet another such place, and now wait for the occasion.

Sud had occasion to celebrate. You see, he's a qualified Smart Arse, and a damn good fellow at that. I'm sure you'll appreciate the beauty of this, as most Smart Arses are stuck up personality devoid freaks who spend their time discussing maths questions. The point is, he's now one happy smart arse as he managed Hawa (IIT AIR) of 176. Thus we felt obliged to press him for a treat and a decent one at that. Thus Sud led us to Not Just Paranthas, which is the point of all that I've said so far. The place itself in in GK 2's M Block Market, close to the Dominos.

You walk into the place, and it's got a nice cheery feel about it. It's not tried to copy a Dhaba, and has thus not failed miserably, as many of these new age restraunts do. It has instead gone for a look completely of it's own, semi-rustic, but with nice cheery colors, and pictures of Madhubala to boot(Freak out, Manav). The service however could be improved. It's not that our waiter was stupid, or impolite, or inneficient, he was just plain deaf, and couldn't seem to hear us whenever we called him. Once we got that bit through, it was all smooth sailing.

To the Menu. The menu is mostly, but Not Just Paranthas. They have all kinds, including in the styles of Chandini Chowk's paranthe waali gali. This is a style that I however, do not prefer. Thus, I had a Jodhpuri Parantha,(which was excellent) and Garlic Naan (which was even better).

A note about the Daal Makhni, which was given a special name which I do not remember hence I continue to call it Daal Makhni. It came with a Chef Reccomends sign, along with a explanatory line that this was Daal Makhni that was so good it would make you forget about "Daal Bhuka-Hara". I found this a great dig at the very famous, and quite crap Daal Bukhara so one had to try it out. True to it's boasted claims, this stuff was exceptional and the best daal I have ever had at any joint (believe me this is saying a lot).
Another interesting number they did was Stuffed Papad, which I found quite enjoyable. This was a good experiment. What was not, was the Pan Pizza Parantha, where again, 10 out of 10 for creativity, but boos and cat calls for execution.

The kukkad (chicken) was great too, but I always have a soft spot for Cashew Rich Gravies. Could have been spicier though, but in it's defense it didn't have a spicy warning sign on it. The last item we ordered was a Kebab that I'm ashamed I don't remember the name of, because it was highly interesting and very delicate and one of the better things I've had in some time.

All in all, I was inspired to overeat and stuffed myself silly. After all, I wasn't fronting the bill, nor was I going dutch. Thus, I cannot help you out with the last, seemingly important detail of the Expense, as I didn't care to look at the cheque.

Go there and see it for yourself, is my advice, and take some cash along. It's worth whatever you shell out.

No comments: