Tuesday, January 18, 2005

The Travails of Thinking



I reread The Complete Murphy's Law recently, and let me tell you it's just about the perfect book you can read during class 12 preboards. It makes life seem a little bit more normal, there's nothing like hearing that everything is supposed to be going to go wrong anyway, to make you feel better about the fact that everything is, in fact, going wrong.
But then I refer largerly to my Maths Paper, which was, in another man's words, an Unmitigated Disaster.
Anyway, to the point.
I've talked about this before, but then, it's quite a bit to talk about, and not easily covered in a day long essay. But here's the deal. When you have nothing to do, the only thing you have left to do is Think. Thinking is basically the root cause of all Man's problems in life, because, were he not to think, he would never imagine that he had problems in the first place. But then, you cannot not think, because then you deny yourself humanity, and turn into an oyster, or potato, or any such life form. So here's what human beings did, they reached a compromise. Man say, Yea as you are my father and holy son, and other biblical and profound sounding stuff, You will proceed to think only for a limited amount of the day, and spend the rest doing seemingly important things. You will play sports, you will blog, you will watch TV, and you will chat with friends, but thinking you shall keep to a god holy minimum.
But this all goes haywire when most of the above options are denied to you, and all that is left to do is think.
Here's another associated evil. You can think about
a)The Present: This you cannot actually do most of the time, and especially cannot do when your present involves thinking. You can't technically think about thinking, because that sort of thing is liable to drive you nuts, but proof that this has already not happened is, quite frankly, flimsy.
b) The Past : I have serious mental barriers set up so that I don't think about my past, for reasons I cannot remember because I have serious mental barriers preventing me from doing so.
c) The Future : Now here's the most dangerous thing to actually think about, and in my case, the only thing I actually can. You have three kinds of thoughts, in this regard. Really Short Term Future Planning, commonly known as, "What shall I have for dinner", or ,"Oh, there's a decent movie coming tonight.
Then you have Short Term Future Planning, which is currently along the lines of "How should I party after these wretched Boards are over?" or "where the hell can I learn how to cook in the holidays" and towards the latter bit "Where on earth am I going to be going to college to, and what will it be like?"
Then you have long term future planning, which is really quite rare, and involves things like "How screwed up are my kids going to be, really?"
Here's the deal, now. The future can either not be according to your expectations, in which case you shall be deeply dissapointed, and pissed that you spent time thinking about a perfect world that panned out.
Alternatively, the future can be completely wonderful, but not according to your expectations, because what the future never is, or well, never has turned out to be, is what you expect it to be.
Now, as per the ranting, I'm going to be doing quite a bit of that for at least a month and a half more, so I'll just have to deal with it.

Sasta for the day: What do you call a Sardar who's obssesed with PN Junction Diodes?




Bia Singh.

Forgive them lord, they know not what they do.

No comments: