Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Two down, Three to Go



I wish I had six preboards, or six subjects, or whatever the right word for this is. That way, I could loudly claim that I've reached midway through my exams, and I could have done this consistently over this year, which has seen me doing pretty much nothing but give exams.
I'm quoting Keerthi now. I have also started writing exams just so that they get over. I no longer see a point to them, an objective, a test, whatever they're supposed to be, it's not reaching me. They just have to be written, so that they get over.
So I had economics today, which went remarkably well, considering I had decided not to study at all for half the course. Even stranger is how this was the exact part of the course I did remarkably well in. This is all fitting into my great theory that studying has nothing to do with your actual marks.
I was much impressed by the tenthie sitting next to me in today's paper, which is the entire reason I'm writing, actually. It showed me that the future of my school is secure, and if you think I'm being pragmatic, I'm not.
Here's what happened. The chap had not studied much for his german paper, and his last question was a ten mark essay type thing. Now, he had come prepared with all of one essay, About my Father, or whatever that translates into german as. This one, unfortunately didn't come, something he was banking on, and instead he had to write "About my Neighbour". This chap was understandably distressed, but the quick thinking and arrogance that forms the backbone of DPS surged in his veins. He waits for Gurpreet (The German Teacher) to arrive, and then asks him, in all honesty "Sir, can my father be my neighbour?"
Flummoxed by such incredible logic, Gurpreet said, write whatever you wan't we'll see later, so the fellow happily goes about writing an essay which would have started as "My neighbour is my father", followed by the rest of the father essay. At this point I was literally laughing my head off, which is not very advisable if you're giving a paper. Following this, I shook the guys hand, and if I could, I would have congratulated him, but you really shouldn't talk during a paper.
There should be awards for creative thinking during exams, but no, this is something our society doesn't really reward. Ah, well, such is life.

No comments: