Thursday, April 14, 2005

F Block Square



The fact that I'm out of school is really starting to sink in now. Each morning is my own, the only schedules that exist for it are my own, and each day I wish to meet people, it requires an effort. There's a meeting ground that has ended permanently, there's no more F Block Square.

The F Block Square, I realised, has never been properly written about. At least, a google of my blog revealed I had never properly written about it, and considering it was the focal point of my life at school, that's a pretty big unwritten chunk.
See, once I entered 11th and 12th, it became the proverbial water hole of us all, our day began there, it ended there. Before security and dramebaazi became a norm at our school, we used to be left undisturbed there towards the end of school, no one would push us out, no one would give us dirty looks for hanging about. It offered peace, it offered new and fresh conversation, and it offered a place where you could get messages across before the lot of us departed for our classes which were spread over the vast yet miniscule expanses of DPS.

The F Block Square always allowed you to meet and mix with people, anyone who showed up was immediately a part of it, all that was required was that you weren't shy, and didn't run off to your class in the morning. Fellow blogger Karan made most of his new friends over there, ditto for Manx, or Sid Sinha, or Shorty, or anyone or everyone that hung around there for those two years.

The surprising thing was that the place was ours for two years. in 11th, our seniors made no claims to us occupying the square, and in 12th, our juniors, who were as it is useless, didn't try to move us off either. One of them claimed it was because they prefered to take peeks at Manx from the third floor, rather than come down, but I believe that a lot of these are merely stories. I don't think the mentality existed in our juniors, to meet and mix, and they prefered staying in their worlds. The F Block Square was not for them.

It also, as I have written about, used to get great eddy currents of winds during the monsoon season, which would enivitably result in the raising of many skirts. Such was it's design. It also almost resulted in the untimely death of a friend, when the windowpane directly above crashed down to where she had been a second earlier. Thank god for larger mercies. It was, in short, an eventful place.

I don't have anything like that right now, and I don't think I will for a while, at least till I join a college. I hope something in it's spirit exists wherever I go. I don't think life would be complete without it, there's certainly something missing now. I'd love to go back and check if this year's 11th has adopted it in a style of their own, if for nothing but a sense of nostalgia. If they haven't, their loss. They've given up a center of RKP Culture.

No comments: