Thursday, April 07, 2005

Moshe's Oliva



It's Restraunt Review Time! Woo hoo!

Today, to partake in the holy activity of lunching, in the vain and sad attempt to live up to the traditions established by the editors of the Hithchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I went out for lunch to a place we've been looking to try out. It's Moshe's Oliva, and it's in Munirka's Big Glass Building.
Right, on to the place. It's another one in the recent trend of Mediterranean Restraunts, whose USP is the few Isreali and Turkish dishes you will get here, and not too many other places. It's menu and range is also larger than the other Med places I've tried over Delhi, and their Dessert Selection is, as I will elaborate in detail, decidedly superior.
Right, to the appetizers and soup first. My mother and her friend, whom I went with, spilt a Spinach and Mushroom soup, which I will say was superior. It had a great green color to it, it had raosted garlic flavouring it, and the mushrooms were sauteed just right. Exceedingly well done, comparable only to the tomato soup I've had in The Big Chill.
For the appetizer, I ordered the prawns. These were delicately flavoured, and tasted quite fresh, in contrast to most prawns you will have in the city. This is a good thing. They were, however, not warmed quite enough, and that could be improved upon.
Next, we move to the main course. I ordered a Fish Tangine, which was very very nice. Continuing on the spinach theme one seemed to have chosen, this was a lovely fish in spinach and olives stew, with good rice with peas on the side. The fish was Rawas, which I must pick up from somewhere, for it is the lightest most delicate fish I have had till date.
Ah, but the best came towards the end. No mention of this fine place is complete with a mention of their desserts. Now, I know there are many supporters of a place known as The Big Chill, in the Delhi circle, and I have sampled their selections, and let me tell you, as good as they are they are NOT as good as what I had today. The Walnut Chocolate Tart was simply divine, and the Chocolate Warm Mud Pie was like having a molten brownie. Both were served with a scoop of icecream, saving you the bother of having to ask for one.
The decor was also highly respectable, and the service was as good as anything Goran Ivanisevic ever tossed up. Thus, I give the place a wonderful 8.5 on 10. I will go back, oh yes, I will go back.

No comments: