Monday, April 25, 2005

Gol Gappas and Pani Puris



A Comparitive Analysis



During my trip to Mumbai, one among many other "done things"( such as visiting Papa Pancho Da Dhaba) was eating the local chaat. I'm a chaat fan, as has been mentioned before, with a particular interest in Gappas and their variants. It was only obvious that I was to indulge myself with Mumbai's Pani Puris.
Lets go over the two, step by step. First, the Gappa/Puri. In Delhi, these are of aata or suji whereas in Mumbai only the Suji ones seemed to be availible. The gappa is much lighter and crisper in Mumbai, which is one thing I enjoyed. It disintegrates very well in the mouth, and allows the Pani to hit your tongue with full force(I may not know much about the world of fashion, but in the land of the Gappa, I am king).
On to the Pani. The pani in Delhi definitely has more of a zing to it, but that I guess may vary from place to place. Haldiram's pani and the pani you get at that Eatopia Place in habitat is quite simply insipid. Inputs from frequent Mumbai chaat afficionados will be appreciated, I'd like to know if the lack of zing is a general event, or was it just me. Lets just say, it didn't make me hiccup as much I'd like.
Anyhow, on to the deciding factor, the masala. In Delhi, Gappas are stuffed with chana and aalu, which gives them meat and substance inside, and gives you something to work through. In Mumbai, they haven't understood this concept quite as clearly, and Pani Puri is stuffed with of all things, Boondi. Boondi I assure you, is the absolute WRONG thing to put inside. It gets soggy, and spoils the entire experience, I was all happy and comfortable right upto the point that the texture of the boondis hit my tongue.

End analysis: I liked both, each was special in it's own way, but as I didn't like Mumbai as a whole, I'll stick to my local Gappas anyday.

No comments: