Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Baby Talk



Memories are strange things, the strangest part about them is that event related memory and emotional memory, which I think are pretty much the same thing(you can't remember an event unless you have some emotional attachment to it) doesn't even begin till the age of three or four, and isn't really clear till a couple of years later?
Why should this be? Till four, you can remember other things really well, new words, new faces, new ideas, you soak it all in. Things you learn then, how to walk, how to talk, et al, you do not forget for the rest of your life. Yet memory at that age remains a complete and absolute blank. I can't remember how it felt like when I took my first step, I can't remember what I was wearing my first day of play school, hell I can't even Remember my first day of play school! While it is brushed off as a function of the age, on closer inspection (which is what I did), it all seems very strange. It's not that our memories don't work at that age, I concluded, it's that we've purposefully forgotten.
It has been noticed in children and adults that situations that cause a lot of fear and trauma can be effectively shut out from the human mind, as a reaction to prevent injury, mental or otherwise. Many incidents of extreme trauma are simply removed from the conscious memory. This is what I feel happens to baby memories, they are just simply wiped clean, because they are by and large exceedingly traumatic.
Wonderful childhood, you say? Treated like a little prince? I don't think it matters. What causes fear and trauma to most people? The unknown, and the feeling of being incapable of influencing one's environment. Those two factors combine to make most of Man's rational and irrational fears, so just imagine what it would be like to be a baby. Everything is the unknown, and you're almost completely helpless. Being a baby must have been the shit scariest experience anyone of us will ever go through, and thus nature has provided so that we don't have to remember. Ages none through four have simply been wiped for us. Lets take a minute to appreciate the way things work out; if my feeling about this matter is right it's a matter of great joy that I don't know what it felt like when I was a baby. The age of innocence can be better described as the age of fear.

Such is my opinion.

No comments: