Saturday, May 14, 2005

Review: "Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman"



By Richard Feynman



Obviously, the book is an Autobiography, and I must say it is the best autobio I have read since Richard Branson's Losing My Virginity. See, for an autobio to be a good read, the man involved must a)Lead an interesting life b)Have a point of view that appeals to you c)Must write it exceptionally well. Richard Branson only scored on a) and b), Richard Feynman scores on all three counts.
First, a word to the title, which is explained in one of the later chapters. "Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman" is what a stuck up prof. told him when he asked for both Lemon and Cream in his team, disobeying accepted social norms. This was, pretty much through the book, a trend in his life. A staunch refusal, what he explains as pretty much an inability to be politically correct. He was prone to just blurting out things exactly the way he saw them, because as he says "I just was too stupid to take the time to think".
Now, I find this inspirational(I can just hear your slapping your forehead...). Inspirational because, here's someone who's lived a full life without having to pick up social graces at all! It's possible! Everything everyone has told me is wrong! I can live the way I am!
But that's besides the point. I'm supposed to be telling you why it's a great read. Let me continue.
a)Leading an Interesting Life: A VERY interesting life, I must add. Feynman's sheer love for learning, and being a part of wildly different experiences ensure that his tale is one of constant intruige and amusing anecdotes. More than just that, it's the way he actually lives his life, for the better part. He lives for the sheer fun of it, which is the way to go. Whether it's figuring out how to plate plastics with silver, to devoloping the Nuclear Bomb, to learning how to paint Nudes and defending the right of the the Local Topless Bar to remain open, he did it all with a simple hedonistic motive in mind. You simply have to love and appreciate that.
b)Having a point of view that appeals to me: Okay, I think I've covered this bit already, but let me expand. Living life to it's hilt, and enjoying everything, that appeals to me. Not giving a damn about social graces and preferences, and just being honest, that appeals to me. Getting away with it pretty much all the time, that REALLY appeals to me.
c)Must write it exceptionally well: That he does. It's a wonderfully relaxed carefree style of writing. Feynman would have made one hell of a blogger, it's just that right level of disconnectedness, reminiscent of hitchhikers, yet he manages to keep things together. There's an exceptional number of exclamation marks used in his writing, and it's one of the rare books where you can feel the author actually speaking out what he's typing. It's got soul and character, which in my opinion is just what you need in an Autobio.
It's also wonderfully unpersonal, which is another reason why he'd make a great blogger. It reveals just the right amount about his character and life, without making it sound like a personal confession.

Bottom line, I loved it. If you love science, it's a great read, and even if you don't it's well worth it. I don't idolise anyone or anything, but there are a good few people and things I look up to. Surely, Mr. Feynman, you are now one of them.

No comments: