Thursday, January 29, 2004

Quizzing, Mostly



We organised the national finals of the CBSE Heritage India Quiz, which went exceedling smoothly on our part, no fault of ours the the QM couldn't run his software properly, and of course, DPS, well basically Aakash, won. So happy days all around. Later, we were having tea and snakes with contestants, and were reminiscing about old quizzes. So I got all nostalgic. I've had a great year of quizzing, and its turned up some pretty freaky experiences. Here are some of them, in no particular order of strangeness.

1. HT PACE "INQUIZITIVE" : This was a Sid Basu organised quiz, which ticks me off enough, and we only came third, which ticked me off some more. But to top it all of, during prize distrubution, Basu's wife, a woman who must be in her early forties, proceeded to ruffle my hair, giggle like a school girl, and say "Its like a porcupine". She then proceeded to ruffle it again. This is not a family I wish to know. They're all nuts.

2. Well, its indirectly related, but a free trip to Thailand from winning Asimo Science Quiz resulted in my walking through what can only be described as a Red Light City, Pattaya, where yes, I got propositioned.
This is getting far to interesting, so I will stop with this story now.

3. Columban Open Semifinals: Well, two things really. Firstly, I inadvertantly ended up telling Francis Grosser, the nice old quizmaster, that I knew all about Buddhha's. Secondly, the semifinals were freaky, we came from 7th to first place on the back of three really amazing guesses from me, the best of which was equatiing the number six with the six shaped Aasha Parekh. (Who should in all seriousness be renamed Arsa Parekh, gujju Ben with Large Large ass)

4. Mod Quiz : I found out the quizmaster was none other the my Brother. Thats freaky enough for anyone.
That, and black carding MSBK in that quiz, giving them -40, that is, and putting them back in fifth place from second. Haha!

5. Limca Book Of Records, at the beggining of last year, where somehow or the other, we managed to tie in qualifying with Bongo, Bastard and Ships, our mentors and quizzing icons, who won everything there was to win.

Wonderful times, wonderful times.
On the back of more malicious blogging I have read, I would just like to point out that I was eating free at five stars in Thailand, and we've had enough very very good celebration dinners, notably the one at Saleem's, after Columban.

No comments: