Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Wish You Were Here



Thanks to Manav, I've just almost finished Douglas Adams' official biography, Wish You Were Here, by Nick Webb.
Its beautiful. I've never laughed out loud reading a biography, or an autobiography, but when the life concerned is that of Douglas Adams, how can you help it?
He was larger than life. Literally. At six foot five, and quite a few pounds, you have to be.
Now, I could spend pretty much the rest of my day rambling on about how much I love his work, so I won't, and instead just tell you why you should read the autobiography.

Its an insight, and a really good one, into the workings of one of the finest comedic minds of our era, and perhaps, in most eras. If any of you love writing, and most of you who blog do, it'll give you exactly how not to go about it. Adams was the biggest shirker of deadlines the writing world has ever seen. He himself quipped that he loved deadlines, he loved the sound they made when they whooshed by him.
It gives an insight into just how insecure anyone who loves writing is about their work, and why he, and so many of us, seek approval of our work, in the widest medium possible. If he'd been alive right now, I'm sure he'd have loved the idea of keeping a blog, so that 5 million people around the world could tell him how amazingly well written his last blog entry was.

And if you aren't a hitchhikers fan, read it just for the entertainment of anecdotes his life provides. Be warned, you will have the unnerving desire to read hitchhikers soon after.

Anyhow, its inspired me to give a book review for Hitchhikers, the whole series. I've read all of them upwards of 25 times since I was 10 years old, and each year found new and wonderful jokes and insights that I didn't understand earlier.
How can I not review this book? Its a part of my life, its a part of how I write, and how I would like to write. Its shaped my sense of humour.
Full review tomorrow, or day after. I must do this justice.

No comments: