Sunday, November 14, 2004

Tikka Day



No, this wasn't the Paneer Kind. This was full fashion Bhai Dooj ka tikka. The major problem with these things is that they take place in the morning, and the day after the day after diwali, patakas are still going off, and you really want some sleep, because you haven't had a good nights rest in ruddy ages. Thus, we you are dragged out of bed to get ready, you're not all that appreciative of the whole concept. But, anyhow, life goes on, and Bhai Dooj will be around long after you're gone. I, of course, will live on in spirit, and it'll always pretty much bug me, but that's another story.
Another wonderful thing this year was that Tikka location was at my Tau's house in...DLF! Which involved a long journey across the seven seas, and disrupted NHAI flyovers of Delhi-Gurgoan. Anyhow, as a lot of you will be aware, I'm not much fond of the suburban life, and my opinion doesn't seem to change much, every time I visit. Nasty place. Too far from the city, methinks.

Right, so we reach, and there's the slight problem that my sisters haven't. They will be late, they say, so me and my cousin brother sit around like twits and wait for them. There are three who are still in town, and must put Tikka, and of those, only one has graced us. Papa, meanwhile, had very punctual sisters (my Bua's), and they all very quickly finished their Job. Thus, papa beats a quick retreat back home as he has to cook , while I am left in the lurch with my cousin brother. Around twenty mins after Papa leaves the house, cousin sisters arrive five minutes between each other, and we finish our Tikka responsibility. Except, now we can't leave, as Bua must chat with other Buas, and me and cousin brother are now forced to sit around, and politely smile while all my cousin sisters, and their mothers and my Buas discuss labour pains, contractions, and other pregnancy related things.
Basically, not the best Tikka Day experience one could ask for. Anyhow, got to meeet me cousins in entirity after ages, you lose contact with em when they're all aged, with young kids, and busy.
So that ends the festive season. As usual, its been busy enough to keep all thoughts of any serious studying away, so will have to get down to it tomorrow. Id will have to get the boot, at least in my family, we can't celebrate everyone's festivals now, can we?

No comments: