Sunday, October 10, 2004

Sunday and it's Religious Implications



Ah, Sunday, God's (Well, the Christian Version) holy day of rest. Moreover, a wonderful Sunday, with no Monday Test the next day, nothing to worry about, no pressures at all. What would you do on such a remarkably perfect day? Sleep? Damn straight. Have a big bad breakfast? Absolutely. Laze around the whole day, catching up on the papers, telly and whatever other form of Media that does not involve the Indian Cricket Team? Surely!

Unfortunately, we're not Christians, and our Gods have no compulsions about Sunday Sloth. To compound these religious problems, mother woke up today with a dream. A dream of Clean Cupboards, and Organised Desks, of a house where one does not have to search for items, where things can be found immediately, and where junk is where it belongs, in the trash.
Now, I am usually a pig, but I fully support this dream of hers. We shouldn't have to live in such a backward, delerict house. Things should be the way they are.
However, these dreams should not be fullfilled all in one day. God worked on six, may I remind you, and RESTED on Sunday. In the abscence of God, mother dearest took over the role, and decided to fix everything else wrong with the world.
However, God is a manager, not an active element. She works through us lowly mortals, and when it comes to doing the actual hard work, its down to us. Thus, my great plans of spending most of the day on my ass were somewhat thwarted by the fact that I had to first Clean up my desk, which by the way was the second largest dump site in the known world. This took a good one hour, and my satisfaction of finishing this job was somewhat stalled by the fact that I now had to help my father organise and weed out some two decades of Audio Cassetes built up in our house. I was, of course, sneezing away to glory, as this aged collection throws up quite a bit of dust.
After a short break for lunch, it was off to work I went again. This time, I had bigger work to do. The worlds largest dump site awaited clearing. My Clothes Cupboard had to be cleaned.
From this cupboard magically appeared clothing of every single other member of my family. Clothes long thought to be lost, stolen, or given away magically appeared. Clothes thought to have been thrown away, as they were torn and faded magically reappeared.
As a result of all this, I spent all of three hours trying to read Vir Sanghvi's Rude Food Column. I finally convinced ma that I would not start the cupboard till I was given ten free minutes to read the damn thing.
After the whole cupboard debacle, ma decided it was time for her to take a break, and went off to the barbers(are they called barbers if women go to them?), so I finally got a breather.
With nothing else to do for the day, I played Sweep for an hour and a half with Papa. Papa is a sweep and general card game champion, and in great father son tradition, has passed down quite a bit of knowledge to me. However, of the umpteen card games he taught me, Sweep was not one of them, and I had picked it up only a week ago. Thus, I got a good whipping of over 150 points, over four or five games, I forget how many. But I'm learning fast, and shall add this to my many great skills. My love for freecell must stem from the many Sundays and lazy summer days I've whiled away playing cards with my family. Papa of course insists that this is what normal families do on lazy Sundays in my generation, so I'd like to put an open test on this blog. How many people reading this, under the age of 18 know the following things?
a) How to play Sweep, Pabho, and Bridge(If I taught you, it doesn't count)
b) What Nichlu and Titlu are in Scored Rummy(This is for bonus points)
c) What the scale of cards is on Teen Patti

There we go. Anyone at all knowing the answer to part b) gets whatever non-material thing they would like from me, so feel free to comment away. I doubt I'll have to give up much.

No comments: